Friday, February 11, 2011

Clothing yourself

So at Club Hub (the Jr High worship service at church) The kids were asked to memorize a verse. And as any good leader would I did too. It always amazes me how God knows exactly what I need to hear and works it into my life. Here's the verse (from memory) "Since God chose you to be the holy people He loves, you must clothe yourselves in tender hearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience" Colossians 3:12

Things at work get stressful sometimes, as with any job, there is drama and people not doing their jobs properly or unrealistic expectations. Nothing out of the ordinary just stressful at times. And with the many illnesses and extreme cold, this week has been very trying for me. As I have been memorizing this verse I have tried to make it meaningful and apply it. So when I feel myself getting stressed I think about clothing myself with patience. This is one I work on a lot. I can always be better at being patient. Nothing new really.

And then I started thinking what it means to clothe yourself with tender hearted mercy. I like to think I am a fairly compassionate person and I sympathetic to others, most of the time. So I kind of glossed over that one. But it got me to thinking when I get frustrated with someone in particular, that is when I need to clothe myself in tender hearted mercy. I thought it might just be a patience issue but I think its more. Mercy is freeing. It is more than patience it's forgiving, and acceptance. I want to be shown mercy when I mess up or make a bad choice. But sometimes I want to hold onto what others have done to me, or not even to me but that have effected me.

I like this verse too because it says He chose us to be His holy people whom He loves. That's right He chose us, and loves us. And because He chose us He wants the best for us. Like back in the day if you were loved by the king, you wore fancy robes, and rings etc. The king clothed you. Since our bodies will turn back into dust He wants to clothe us in eternal things like tender hearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

It isn't an easy task but it sure does make life better

No comments:

Post a Comment